Time to flex your design muscle?
Designers come to FORREC because our projects are like nothing they’ve worked on before in traditional design environments. Imagine the freedom to think up what makes a theme park, water park, resort, visitor attraction or mixed-use development become a number one travel destination. Or to work on landmark projects in Toronto that shape the fabric of a neighborhood here at home.
Creativity is our lifeblood, and we draw from the talents of five studios to get the best results. You’ll collaborate with award-winning architects, landscape architects, interior designers, graphic designers and creative leads to come up with amazing ideas that raise the bar higher than you ever thought you’d go. We want people who challenge the every day. Who are ready to explore what they can really do. If that sounds like you, we should meet.
FORREC is looking for a talented and creative Senior Master Planner / Urban Designer. The Senior Master Planner reports to the Assistant Director – Master Planning and is responsible for designing multi-use master plans for medium to large scale local and international planning projects. The candidate will be required to demonstrate above average creativity and understanding for a variety of areas including, entertainment design – theme parks, water parks and visitor attractions; urban design; parks and public spaces, landscape planning; mixed-use; leisure; resorts and hotels; and community planning.
- Confers with clients to determine design needs.
- Prepare/oversee the preparation of sites plans, reports, sketches, models, photographs, maps, land use studies and design plans.
- Prepare/oversee the preparation of detailed drawings of sites.
- Estimate costs, prepare specifications and evaluation tenders for landscape construction projects.
- Designs multi-use master plans clearly demonstrating a flair for design and creativity in both planning, landscape design and architectural forms.
- Apply contemporary design ideas and creativity to assigned planning projects.
- Creates and communicates designs and master plans from a blank canvas/green field site or within the context of existing developments.
- Distills complex information essential for client discussion and decision-making.
- Interprets verbal and written directions from project leaders into professionally completed documents or products.
- Ensures that designs provided and deliverable documentation meets the clients’ expectations.
- Assists with management level presentations that achieve desired outcomes and client confidence.
- Travel may be required
- Bachelor or Masters Degree in Landscape Architecture, Urban Design and Planning, Architecture or foreign equivalent.
- 8-10+ years of professional experience.
- A professional portfolio of work which demonstrates design flair, technical understanding and creative capabilities across a variety of medium to large scale projects.
- Experience working on complex international planning and design projects.
- Landscaping experience in park and recreation sites.
- Entertainment design experience such as theme parks, water parks, resorts and hotels and visitor attractions
- Preference will be given to candidates with large scale design experience (over 100 hectares / 250 acres).
- Knowledge and ability to use analytical and problem-solving techniques.
- Clear understanding of contemporary design vocabulary.
- Demonstrated understanding of current design standards for complete and livable cities and urban environments, sustainability and barrier-free design
- Proficiency in Computer-aided Design, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator) and well-developed graphics skills.
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Intermediate skills in 3D modeling software (Sketchup)
- Experience in BIM/REVIT software an asset.
- Experience with international clients and projects preferred.
- Excellent design, illustration and visualization capabilities.
- Ability to communicate design intent in plan views as well as spatially through 3-dimensional renderings.
- Hand-drawing skills.
- Strong presentation and organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to complete tasks and produce deliverables independently with periodic supervision.
- Ability to develop ideas quickly and fluently and translate them for discussion.
- Ability to develop ideas independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise junior and intermediate designers
The Extras at FORREC
- A vibrant, creative space in the design hub of Liberty Village.
- A culturally and creatively diverse group of people who weave fun into their work every day.
- Pool table, ping pong, video games on-site.
- Free fitness and yoga facilities in the building.
- Varied social events led by our social committee.
- Flexible hours.
- Great benefits.
- Company matching group retirement savings plan.
- Public transit at the door.
How to apply
Please send a copy of your resume and portfolio to email@example.com.
We thank everyone in advance for their interest in this job opportunity, however, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted directly.
Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.